Oh this week has been an adventure in cooking. With birthdays, and kids and all their activities. After eating some very fast, or extremely fattening home cooked foods, we were yearning for something less heavy.
In comes Lentil Soup. Oh my goodness. This was my very first time making it ,and I fell in love. I could not find a recipe that I really truly liked, so I just went ahead and made up my own variation. This is about 3 different recipes from a soup cookbook I found in my stash. It is called “Soup, Superb ways with a Classic Dish”. It was hearty, yet light. Simple, yet delicious. I even whipped up homemade wheat muffins (my great grandmothers recipe) to go with them. Hot muffins, hot soup. What could be better on a cold February night.
So instead of posting all of the foods we enjoyed eating this week, I am just going to share the one nutritious meal. Because it was like a detox for my body.
Here it is:
1 1/2 cups dried Lentils
bacon (however much you would like)
1 onion chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
4 carrots peeled and chopped
1 can of tomatoes (we used a pint of our canned tomatoes, I cut them with scissors to make them smaller)
2 quarts vegetable stock or chicken stock (we used veggie stock since my hubby is allergic to chicken)
dried basil to taste
oregano to taste
2 tablespoons garlic
1. Soak lentils in cold water for about 1 hour. Drain and rinse.
2. Cook bacon and chop very well.
3. Cook chopped veggies and garlic in about 3 tablespoons olive oil until onions are slightly translucent.
4. Add lentils and cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Add jar of tomatoes.
6. Add Bacon
7. Add all the dried spices (oregano and basil)
8. Stir all ingredients making sure they are all incorporated well. Cook for another 2 minutes.
9. Add all of your broth and salt and pepper to taste.
I could mine on low for about 2 hours. Oh it was so good, and easy to. I am sure you can speed up the cooking time, but be careful not to burn your soup or be hasty. You want all of those flavors to cook in.
If you have any recipes you would like to share, please feel free in the comments section. Leave a link to your blog, and we will visit!