This dish has quickly become one of the top ten recipes in my family. Originally, it required chicken, and as some of you know, chicken is one of our allergens. So, I have changed this recipe by using pork instead. Let me tell you, it is just as delicious and juicy and wonderful! I paired it with Pioneer Women’s recipe for Cauliflower Stir Fry. However, I did have to change this recipe by using Worshteshire sauce instead of soy sauce, which is another allergen. Jeez, it sounds as though we are high maintenance!
The orange pork is delicious, but it does require time, and has many steps. It is all well worth it.
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
1 tablespoon vinegar
Red pepper flakes to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup flour with salt and pepper mixed in
6 boneless pork chops
three tablespoons olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1. Set the oven rack to middle and heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together the orange juice, corn syrup, honey, spicy mustard, vinegar, pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
3. Place flour, salt and pepper in a pie plate and coat the pork on both sides.
4. Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet, and add the pork chops. Cook pork chops until well browned on both sides. Do not worry about cooking them through as they will finish cooking in the oven.
5. Remove pork from pan and add the onion until softened.
6. Increase the heat and add the orange juice mixture. Cook until it is reduced slightly.
7. Return the pork to the pan and make sure it is coated in the orange juice mix.
8. Place skillet in oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
9. I transferred this to a crock pot where I kept it warm for the remainder of the day. But you can eat the pork as soon as it is out of the oven. But let me tell you that after being kept warm for a few hours, the sauce thickened and made it more rich. The sauce is still outstanding from the oven as well, so the choice is yours!