The recipe I am going to give you today is Apple Kuchen. I will give you the rest of the delicious recipes tomorrow, along with the yummy German dish I made last week.
Apple Kuchen or Apfelkuchen
A coffee cake from Germany
Preheat oven to 375
1. Soften 1 packet of dry yeastor 1 cke compressed yeast in 2 tablespoons of warm water.
2. Combine 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup scalded milk in large bowl. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Stir in 1 unbeaten egg and the softened yeast.
4. Gradually add in 2 1/2 cups sifted flour with 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg beating well after each addition.
5. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size. About 45-60min.
6. Spread in a well greased 13x9x2 inch pan.
7. Prepare 3 cups of apples; pare and slice 1/4 inch thick. Arrange in rows over dough.
8. Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons softened butter; mix well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of mixture,and sprinkle the rest over the apple topped dough. Cover.
9. Let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
10. Bake in moderate oven 20 to 25 minutes.
11. Blend one egg with light cream. Pour over coffee cake and bake for 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Serve warm.
This is delicious!!!!